The drive to Detroit was actually pretty nice. I really enjoyed seeing the countryside. I find it so refreshing after seeing the glut that is Los Angeles. I didn't actually make to the city of Detroit, so I really didn't see the alleged, dirty industrial side of the place. I did see a large Ford plant, but that was about it.
We got really close to the temple and apparently all of the streets nearby are under construction, so the last little bit was painful, especially since I was trying to get back to Cincinnati by 6:30. We probably would have made it but the construction killed that dream. Anyway we got there, took a couple of pictures, grabbed some lunch and then got back on the road to go to Cincinnati. By this time it was after 3:00 and Detroit is about 280 miles from Cincinnati. That meant we were going to be late for our 6:30 dinner appointment. It also meant that our plans to stop in Dayton and Toldeo were out the window, but seriously what is there to see in Toledo or Dayton. I couldn't tell you because we didn't stop there. However I thought Dayton was a pretty looking city as we drove there. Toledo on the other hand didn't look like anything special. I apologize to any of you that are from Toledo.
So we drove, and drove and drove. We stopped one time for gas, and one time for a potty training accident. The nice thing about Ellie is she tells you immediately when she has one. For those of you that have children, you know this makes a huge difference in the clean-up effort. Basically what I am trying to say is that it made everything a lot easier. :)

One of the great things about spending the nights with the Bensons is the fact they have a 10 year old daughter Elsa. It is safe to say that Ellie has kept Elsa very busy. They have played innumerable games of hide and go seek. Plus she is currently watching Toy Story with Ellie as I am trying to get Ellie to go to sleep. The 8:30 PDT bedtime is a little tough on her, but she is managing it okay. The unfortunate thing is that by the time she adjusts it will be time to go home. I can't wait for that first night back. She will be all worn out by 6:00. :)
Anyway, today was kind of lame during the day, but it ended well. I am so glad that I got to see the Bensons again. Like I said they are my favorite neighbors ever. Going home to see my parents just doesn't feel the same since they have moved. It has been nice to catch up and see how much their kids have grown up. The only way things could have been better would have been if George and Matt had been here, but a mission and scout camp have them away.Tomorrow really should be a chill day. Only 400 miles (yes, I said only) to St. Louis via Louisville, where we will hang out with my college buddy Dave. Current plans include seeing the St. Louis and Louisville Temples. I also want to go see Churchill Downs, eat some good barbecue in St. Louis, and go up the Gateway Arch. It should be a lot of fun.
Today's statistics - 492 miles, 7-1/2 hours of driving, 1 new state, 1 temple, 2 accidents (One on the road, one at the Bensons, both while a Pixar movie was being watched) and the first time of me willingly eating salmon. :) So until tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment