Anyway it took us about 4 hours of driving to get Memphis. We stopped once in some small town in Missouri to grab breakfast at Starbucks. Even though we had a ton of driving to do today, we ate it there and spent awhile there before getting back on the road. Before we actually got out of the car in Memphis, we took a 20 mile detour to Mississippi, so Ellie and I can now both say we have been in Mississippi. I think we were there for about 90 seconds, but we were there and that is better than landing in some airport and saying you have been in a state.
In Memphis we did 3 things. The first was go to eat at Rendezvous. They had the best pulled pork I have ever eaten. Thank-you Amanda Schadrack wherever you are for telling me about this place. My dad will be happy to know I am bringing him home a bottle of sauce and dry rub. :) I even liked their beans, which is surprising because I am not a big fan of beans, but these were very tasty. Ellie this evening said her favorite part of the day was the bread they served at Rendezvous.
The drive to Nashville was quite nice. It is about 2-1/2 hours and the freeway is in the middle of a forest, which is something we had not experienced so far. The drive was quite easy and time went by fast. It was during Ellie's nap time so it went by quickly for her as well. We got to Nashville and we went to the Grand Ole Opry, because it is the only iconic thing I can think of in Nashville. All we did there was take a couple pictures, buy Ellie a little bear, and some postcards and we took off to get to the temple. I was concerned about getting to the temple in a timely manner, because the sunlight was going away, and the pictures in St. Louis didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.
So finally, we hit the road for one last time and drove 90 minutes to the town of Decatur, Alabama. We pulled in around 9:30 and Ellie immediately started jumping on the bed. I don't know why I didn't take any pictures of that... I am an idiot, but what else is new? I organized my suitcases, gave Ellie a bath, and am doing the blog. So there is my day...
Final stats 670 miles, about 9-1/2 hours of driving (About an hour more than expected due to our Mississippi detour and trip to the Opry), 4 states, 2 temples, and 2 accidents (Ellie is going to kill me if she ever reads this). Tomorrow we are off to Gainesville via Birmingham and Atlanta. It is about 100 miles less of driving, but I am excited. We have some big plans for the day, such as the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke and Centennial Park. Fun times...
No comments:
Post a Comment