Well this weekend, will be one of the most memorable weekends of my life, and potentially for Ellie as well. I say potentially for Ellie, because I don't know how much of it she will remember since she is only 3-1/2. I know I don't remember anything from when I was 3-1/2, although I do remember my 4th birthday. Anyway...
The weekend started on Thursday evening for us. I picked up Ellie from school and we drove into Valencia because I had a rec league basketball game that night. However it wasn't until 8:45, so we had some time to kill. How do Ellie and Dad kill time? We go to McDonalds where Ellie can play on the playground, while Dad can do homework. This guarantees that everyone has a fun time.
After we were done with McDonald's, we went to one of the local high schools and I had my game. We won by 6 or 7 and I lit up the opposing team for 20 points and 10+ boards. I love it when a decision is made to put a 5'9" guy on me. I pretty much dominate. :)
Once the game was over, we hopped into the car and took off for Vegas. Normally we would go all the way to St. George, but we didn't get out of Valencia until 10:00, and I didn't feel like driving until 3:00 in the morning. So we got into Vegas around 1:30 and spent the night at the Excalibur, which Ellie enjoyed because she got to stay in a castle. It took some time, but I was finally able to get Ellie back to sleep and we got about 6 hours of sleep.
The next morning, we woke up around 8:00, got Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast, and then drove the 90 minutes to St. George, where we had lunch with Amy. After that it was time for me and Ellie. We woke-up after Amy got home from work. This will be her last day of work for awhile, did some grocery shopping, bought Ellie a Dora bed, and then hung out at home for the rest of the evening, before going to bed.
Saturday was pretty chill. I woke-up really early and ran 18 miles. When I got back to the house, Ellie and I made waffles, and then I took Ellie over to Jessi's house, so she could hang out with Boyd and Jessi. I love that Jessi and Boyd live in St. George, because Ellie gets to see them, but I also dislike it a little bit, because that cuts into the small amount of time I get with Ellie these days. However, Ellie loves Boyd and Jessi, and that is what really counts. Once we got Ellie, we went to the inspirational portion of the weekend. Amy, Ellie and I all went to see the Ironman race being held in St. George. Those guys are freaking insane. Seriously, why would anyone want to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run 26.2 all in one day. I could do it today, if I wanted to. However, I am too big of a wuss. Although everytime I see it, I feel the urge to try one day. :) Anyway, after hanging around there for about an hour, it was back to the house to make tacos for dinner. Then I put Ellie down for bed, Amy and I watched a movie, and that was that.
Which leads us to the memorable portion of the weekend. Amy woke me up around 5:00 to say she was having contractions. What kind of contractions? For those of you that don't know, Amy is pregnant, or maybe I should say she was pregnant. Amy and I have known each other since February of last year. However we didn't meet until the last weekend of August. What neither of us knew at the time that we met, but have since learned, is that she was pregnant. Obviously we have had some interesting conversations when our friends and family found out, but the great thing is how supportive everyone has been. Anyway, long story short, Amy gave birth to a beautiful little girl named Anna Elizabeth Needham.
I would go into my more detail, but this blog is about the adventures that Ellie and I have together. So I will keep it about that. If you want to know more details, just ask. So on that note, one of the great things about today is that Ellie got to hold a newborn. Of course, she doesn't understand all of that, and kept telling the nurses that she was holding her sister. It was precious, especially when she sang to Anna. She also told everyone what she was to teach Anna (i.e. how to cross the street, how not to kick Ellie, how to draw, etc.). I am so glad she was with me this weekend. As a result of this, I am skipping school Monday, and will bring Amy and Anna home, before Ellie and I take off at an insanely early hour on Tuesday.
So there you go... a very memorable weekend for the Dad and Ellie. I am not quite sure how we will top that, but I am sure we will.
Wow. Congratulations! So by mentioning that Ellie is going to be her sister, are you announcing an engagement? If so, double congratulations! If not, I'm confused:)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a memorable weekend for you. And here I thought I was going to be commenting on the "freaking insane" nature of running 18 miles in one day . . .