Friday, June 19, 2009

Biscuits and Gravy

So today was the day I introduced my daughter to biscuits and sausage gravy. Even though I don't eat breakfast very often, this is my absolute favorite breakfast. Mom was kind enough to make it for us, after I got home from golf. (Dad and I went to a different course, and we tied). Ellie isn't a big fan of "sauces" so it wasn't her favorite thing, but I think she enjoyed the sausage and biscuits on their own. When it came to the gravy... not so much.

After breakfast, Mom went with me and Ellie to Costco and the grocery store. I needed to get supplies for tomorrow's trip. The most important thing was 10 loaves of Granny Bread. If you haven't had Granny Bread (aka Grandma Sycamore Bread), then you are missing out. Once you go Granny, you never go back. It is the most fabulous bread in the world, and I got a bunch for me, Kim and my buddy Mike Tolentino.



We came home and I screwed around on facebook, while Ellie and Mom took a nap until it was time to get ready to go to the Thomases. For those of you that don't know, the Thomases are some of my family's closest friends. We lived in the same ward in Orem for nearly 10 years, before the Thomases deserted us. They know live in Ogden. They have 6 kids, 3 boys and 3 girls. Their 3 sons are the same ages as me and my brothers. So we got along very well, and it was nice to end up with "3 sisters" I could harass. :)


However, I digress. While waiting for Dad to get home from work I went running, then I quickly showered and it was off to Ogden. The drive up was loads of fun, because we had to wake Ellie up from her nap to get her into the car. That is a bad thing, because she hates to be awaken. So she was a grump for 80% of the ride. She was especially upset that Grandma was the one sitting in the back with her, as opposed to me.

As for the Thomas family, it was great to see them again. I haven't seen them in years - probably since my wedding. Anyway, Bro. and Sis. Thomas were there along with Pat and Catie. Their daughter-in-law Lori, who is married to Mike, was there with her two little boys. It was great to get caught up and Ellie absolutely loved Catie and Sean (the oldest of the two little boys). Ellie also thoroughly enjoyed the helium balloon and stick horse that they gave her. She was not thrilled when we told her it was time to go home. So we went home, and had a better drive home. I was chosen by Ellie to ride in the back with her. She proceeded to tell us for the 1st 45 minutes of the drive home that she wasn't wet or stinky. Then she changed her commentary and we realized she was stinky. To my knowledge, this was the first accident she has had in the car. So we got home, changed her and did a bunch of laundry.

The rest of the evening has been spent packing, and getting ready for the 5:30 wake-up call tomorrow morning. Ellie and I have had a blast and it sucks that we are going home tomorrow. I wish I could just stay up here indefinitely. I love Utah, I love Provo-Orem, I love BYU and there many things I don't mind about the "Bubble." Alas, Los Angeles, and all of its craziness are calling me back. :)

1 comment:

  1. It's true. Granny bread is the greatest bread on the planet. We only have 2 loaves left in the freezer. I think I'll have to ration Tyler's pbh sandwiches from now on!

    ReplyDelete